Emergency Ride Home
CATA’s Emergency Ride Home (ERH) Program gives you the confidence that you can commit to an alternative commute and still get home in an emergency. Think of it as “commuter insurance”.
As a participant in the program, you will receive access to two digital vouchers every six months. Each voucher entitles you to one free, 24-hour rental from Enterprise Rent-A-Car OR reimbursement up to $60 for taxi/public transit fare. including Uber and Lyft. If someone is sick, you have a family emergency, you work unplanned overtime or your ride leaves without you, ERH is your back-up plan. Plus, it's totally free!
- Be a registered member with CATA's Clean Commute Options Program. Regsiter online.
- Use a clean commute alternative at least 3 days/week. Currently ERH is available for carpoolers, vanpoolers, bicycle commuters who travel in from outside CATA's fixed route system, and riders who use CATA's Limited Service (routes 46 and 48).
If you meet both of the above requirements then you are eligible to participate in the program.
Complete the online Emergency Ride Home application to register for ERH service now!
When Can I Use My Emergency Ride Home?
- Personal or family emergencies
- Personal or family illness
- Unplanned overtime
- Stranded at work because carpool or vanpool driver had to leave
- Your ERH trip can be used from your place of employment to your home or the location of your car (Such as a Park & Ride Lot) only. Intermediate stops are allowed if they relate to the emergency (Child’s school, day care, doctor, hospital).
- Your ERH trip is not to be used for personal errands, pre-planned appointments, business-related travel, working late without supervisors request, pre-planned overtime, or non-emergency side trips.
ERH Voucher Terms & Conditions
- You must have commuted by carpool, vanpool, bicycle or one of CATA’s Limited bus services the day that the voucher is used.
- Fully completed vouchers may be used as direct payment up to the value printed on voucher for transportation with the listed vendor. We will not cover renters insurance or any extra coverage.
- Fully completed vouchers may also be redeemed for payment up to the value printed on the voucher for transportation with other commercial vendors when mailed to CATA Clean Commute Options, along with a valid receipt from the transportation provider within 10 days of service.
- Vouchers expire one week after download.
- Vouchers are not transferable. Vouchers given to others for use is strictly prohibited and may result in loss of ERH privileges.
- Conditions are subject to documentation and verification upon request.
How to Use Your Vouchers
The steps required to use your voucher differ based upon your preferred ERH travel mode. You may use an Enterprise Rent-A-Car, CATA service or a taxi provider of your choice, including Uber/Lyft.
For travel with Enterprise Rent-A-Car:
The voucher may be used on as direct payment, not to exceed $60, for one emergency trip by Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Call the nearest Enterprise location by dialing 800.736.8222 and press #1. Tell them you are a participant in CATA's Emergency Ride Home Program. Make a copy of the voucher, detach at the dotted line, and present the voucher at the time of vehicle rental. Vehicles must be returned within 24 hours with a full tank of gas. Fuel charges are your responsibility. Enterprise is open M-F from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon.
Customer Number 59E1948 | For questions or concerns call 517.202.8840
For travel with Other Transportation Providers:
Schedule transportation with your preferred CATA or Taxi provider (including Uber & Lyft). Pay for you ride and make sure to collect a receipt. Detach the voucher along the dotted line and mail, along with the receipt, to CATA's Clean Commute Options Program at 46154 Tranter Street, Lansing, MI 48910 within 10 days of service. You will reimbursed for you trip.
How to Download your Digital Voucher
- Visit http://cleancommute.rideamigos.com and log in to your profile.
- Click on the “Emergency Ride Home” tab in the navigation bar at the top of the page.
- In the Emergency Ride Home box select the option that says “Emergency Ride Home Voucher” and click Redeem.
- Confirm that you would like to spend one point on one voucher by clicking “OK”.
- Fill out the nature of your emergency and your chosen transportation provider. This allows the system to electronically fill out your voucher. Click "Complete Request".
- Click on the link to download your personalized voucher in PDF format. Save a copy of the voucher for your records before printing it out.
I Need Help Downloading my Voucher!
View our pictorial user's guide for detailed instructions for how to download your voucher(s).
For additional questions or concerns regarding Emergency Ride Home use or qualifications, view the FAQ Document or contact CATA’s Clean Commute Options Program.