CATA launches summer service changes along with two route enhancements
Monday, April 24, 2023
CATA’s Spartan Service, which provides additional bus service during Michigan State University’s fall and spring semesters, will conclude for summer break following MSU’s commencement weekend.
Beginning Monday, May 8, 2023, all MSU campus service will be suspended, with the exception of Route 32, which will continue to operate during the break. Service on several off-campus routes will operate at reduced or varied levels over the summer break, which runs through Aug. 27, 2023. Construction scheduled over the summer on Farm Lane, north of Shaw Lane, will impact Routes 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 and 32. The campus detour will utilize Bogue Street for travel between Grand River Avenue and Shaw Lane.
Route 3 Willow/Marketplace Blvd. will extend service year-round west of the Lansing Mall to Marketplace Boulevard by means of Saginaw Highway, Canal Road and St. Joseph Highway starting May 8. Approximately 30 new bus stops will be added prior to the launch. Changes in departure times for all current eastbound travel will accompany the route extension. Weekend service will start 30 minutes earlier and service will operate 20-25 minutes later each day. To view the new schedule in its entirety, visit cata.org/schedules and change the date of service to May 8 or later.
Beginning May 11, 2023, Route 1 Late-night Service along Grand River and Michigan avenues will return Thursday, Friday and Saturday, operating year-round until 3:35 a.m. The complete schedule is available at cata.org/schedules.
Details about CATA’s summer break service changes are outlined below. For complete route-by-route schedules, refer to cata.org/schedules.
- Route 1 – Downtown Lansing/Meridian Mall: Weekday buses will run every 12-15 minutes from the start of service until 8 p.m. rather than every 9-15 minutes. Weekday evening departures from bus stops along downtown Lansing’s Capitol Loop will continue to depart up to 8 minutes later. Evening and weekend service will operate as usual. Late-night service returns Thursday, Friday and Saturday, operating until 3:35 a.m.
- Route 20 – South Harrison/Jolly/Dunckel: The route will travel into Spartan Village during the break. Buses will travel into the MSU-CTC/Ramp 1 and will detour on Bogue Street between Grand River Avenue and Shaw Lane.
- Route 22 – MSU/Haslett/Okemos: Buses will travel into the MSU-CTC/Ramp 1 and will detour on Bogue Street between Grand River Avenue and Shaw Lane.
- Route 23 – MSU/Okemos/Haslett: Weekday service between 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. will be reduced to a 35- to 45-minute frequency. There is no change in Saturday service. Buses will travel into the MSU-CTC/Ramp 1.
- Route 24 – East Lansing/E. Lake Lansing Road: Weekday service will operate on a 30-minute frequency. There is no change in weekend service. Buses will detour on Bogue Street between Grand River Avenue and Shaw Lane over the summer.
- Route 25 – North Harrison: Weekday service will operate on a 60-minute frequency. There is no change in weekend service.
- Route 26 – Abbot/Chandler: Weekday service will operate on a 45-minute frequency and conclude at 7:15 p.m. Saturday service will also end at 7:15 p.m. There is no change in service on Sunday. Buses will detour on Bogue Street between Grand River Avenue and Shaw Lane over the summer.
- Route 32 – Commuter Lot/Snyder Hall/Clinical Center: Campus service between MSU’s Commuter Lot and the Clinical Center will operate at a 30-minute frequency, Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. until 7:25 p.m. over the summer. The Farm Lane closure, north of Shaw Lane, will prevent the route from traveling to Snyder Hall.
- Routes 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38 and 39 – Do not operate on MSU’s campus during summer break. Routes 34, 35 and 36 will conclude at 2 a.m. on May 8.
- Lot Link – The MSU demand-response service will conclude for the break at 2 a.m. on May 8.
- Night Owl – The MSU demand-response service will conclude for the break at 9 a.m. on May 7.
For more information, contact a CATA Customer Experience Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-394-1000.